This past weekend, on Fri 5/14 and Sat 5/15, my salsa dance team BDS Extreme, performed for the 1st time! I danced all weekend long from Friday to Sunday, with different groups of people, different dance styles, across 2 states on about 11 hours of sleep total (counting 2 naps that I took). Needless to say, I had a BLAST!
Here's the link to the video of our performance on Friday at the Belltown Dance Studio
Here's the link to the video of our performance on Saturday at the Mambo Lounge in Portland, OR for Gemini's 6th Anniversary party.
A picture of my dance team in our costumes after the 1st performance:
My stream-of-consciousness recollections of the weekend:
rueda dance practice at the Wallingford Steps - so nice out... BDS Dance Social, wearing swishy red skirt and heels... with make-up!... oh the wonderful comments I got (thanks!)... it was so much fun to dance... Jill and Jill contest... leading a lead... 1st performance and no casualties (woot!)... some amazing dances with new and favorite leads... blues at the bistro, swanky, chill, oh so smooth...mmm-hmmm!...road trip to Portland... getting to know my team mates... "Squirrel!"...the Jupiter hotel - gotta love a hotel that has their own brand of condoms :p ... practicing out on the driveway... dancing before the big performance... waiting for the performances to start...an impromptu bachata backstage while waiting (oh! that was fun)... 2nd performance, better than the 1st ... more fantastic salsa dancing, on1, on2.... hotcakes and hash browns with bacon, sausage and ham (uh-huh... 1/2 a pig I think)... 3 hours of sleep...chill ride back (thanks!) AND in good time... kizomba dancing mmm-hmmm! ...salsa church with "MWAH!" more great dances...rueda practice... ice cream!!!... ran out of steam took a little nap... rooftop party with a lovely sunset as the backdrop, beautiful evening, lots of great food and company... salsa, casino... hugs.... finally, sleep
AND because I believe that expressing gratitude begets even more to be grateful for here goes:
- Thank you to Javier , Holly and Jim who choreographed and coached our team.
- Thank you to my team mates for pushing through and getting the dance down, even to the point of improving it from Friday to Saturday.
- Thank you to my friends who came to see the performance, who gave me their support even though they couldn't make it, who wished me well and said many wonderful things.
- Thank you to a total stranger who stopped me to tell me that I did a great job and that it was wonderful to see how much I really enjoyed dancing during the performance.
- Thanks to my rides there and back: for driving and some great conversation.
- Thanks for some rockin' food at the hotcakes and steak house (i'm still full thinking about it)
- Thank you to all the leads I danced with, I had some "mwah!" dances all weekend
- Thank you for salsa, blues, bachata, rueda, casino
- Thank you for rooftop parties with lots of food, great weather, great company to talk and dance with
- Thank you for all the joy, despite lack of sleep, that I was able to be a part of
Post a Comment