Thursday, February 19, 2009

Passion and Desire: What do you want?

PASSION applies to an emotion that is deeply stirring or ungovernable.

DESIRE stresses the strength of feeling and often implies strong intention or aim.

[From Webster's online dictionary www.webster.com]

I have a tendency to over simplify.

I believe that nearly anything in life can be solved by a simple approach that I've derived from Polya. I broke this thinking down when I was teaching math in high school because I wanted to give my students a methodical approach to problem solving.

Polya's approach has 4 main principles:
1) Understand the Problem
2) Devise a Plan
3) Carry Out the Plan
4) Review / Extend

Here's my approach:
1) What's the question that needs to be answered?
2) What do you know?
3) How are you going to answer the question based on what you know?
4) Do it!
5) Did you answer the question? If not, back to the top.

So the question to answer for those of us seeking for the ideal life is "What do you want?"

What are you passions? Your desires? What drives you?

No comments:

Post a Comment